The JCEA Member Organizing Program is a two phase organizing program that will teach you foundational organizing skills in order to win better public schools and the schools our students deserve.
Each phase of the program will focus on skill-building through training, practice, coaching, and regular check-in’s with staff. Member Organizers will engage in direct one-on-one conversations with members and potential members about specific issues that affect our profession, students, and Jeffco.
Important: by applying to this program, you are committing to a two phase program during the spring and summer. Details for each phase are listed below, with in person and online training required during both phases.
This is a paid organizing internship and member organizers will be expected to treat the program as an opportunity to learn and grow as a leader as well as a job. All phases of the program will involve one-on-one conversations in person, phone banking, knocking on doors, and asking potential members to join.
Phase 1: February 6 – April 7, 2023 (off the week of Spring Break)
- You will be paid a $1250 one time stipend with the expectation of working 6 hours a week (including training time) for 8 weeks.
- Mandatory online training will be held each Wednesday from 5:00 – 8:00pm.
- Your team will check in weekly with your JCEA Staff Member.
- This phase will focus on organizing basics to build a base of power and strength for your local union: solidifying one-on-one conversational skills, how to identify leaders, semantics, charting, and structure tests.
Phase 2: June 19 – July 21, 2023 (off the week of July 4)
- You will be paid a $1500 one time stipend with the expectation of working 12 hours a week (including training time) for 4 weeks.
- This phase will focus heavily on welcoming new educators to Jeffco and inviting them to join your union. Organizers will be expected to begin reaching out and asking new employees to join, while prepping for our New Educator Induction event in August.
- During this phase you will take the issues members identified in their one-on-one conversations in Phase 1 & test to see if they are deeply and widely felt in preparation for the 2023 – 24 full contract negotiations. You will also invite leaders identified in Phase 1 to help lead these tests in order to build up the base of our union.
- You will also talk to members about the upcoming school board election in Fall 2023.
Interested? Use the button below to apply today! Applications close January 23!